Creating a local server in your PC itself without any extra resources(for linux).
- You can set up this local server for testing your server side scripts as php,python and others.
- You only need to download source for Apache that is opensource project means absolutely FREE.
- Download the latest apache server from here Apache http server project.
- Download the .bz2 or .gz source.
- Extract it using command mentioned in this “tar usage” post.
- After extraction a folder named httpd-x.x.x will be created (x.x.x is version number).
- Enter in that folder named like this from your teminal
$ cd /home/mypc/<folder name where you extracted>/httpd-x.x.x
- Fire the next three commands from terminal, being in httpd-x.x.x folder.
$ cd /home/mypc/Downloads/httpd-x.x.x/
(i extracted in the Downloads folder itself)
- Fire the below commands one by one.
- Enter in super user mode
$ sudo -s (command to enter in superuser mode)
./configure (command to configure your apache the pc requirements)
- After the successful installation of apache. Test it.
- Open any web browser and just type open a web page with address “http://localhost”
- The following text will appear
- If you see this message means you ave successfully set upa local server for you.
- You can host your own website from our local server .(requires continuous power supply and Internet connection. this could be expensive)